About Brett Hay
Brett Hay is a photographer and glass artist from Huntingtown, Maryland. His artistic endeavors began when he was attending The Summit School, a school that was created for students with dyslexia and other learning disabilities. While attending Summit he would enter the yearbook cover design contest, which he won on multiple occasions. Many of his designs were based on school related themes and nature. Brett had never considered being an artist but because of his love for nature and wild life, he wanted to be a zoologist.
During his high school years, Brett was introduced to fused glass and fell in love with the medium. During his junior year he decided that he would like to become an artist and started working to build a portfolio. Brett considered attending only one school, Virginia Commonwealth University, the fourth ranked art school in the country. About half way through his senior he received his acceptance letter. Later that year he was awarded The Mary Beth Harry Memorial scholarship from the Calvert County Arts Council.
Brett started at VCU in the fall of 2012; however he decided to leave the school after the fall semester of 2013. During his time there he learned from well known artists such as Melanie McLain, Vincent Zawada, Lee Cole, and Matt Lively.
Shortly after leaving VCU Brett decided to pursue photography. He was able to teach himself the basics of photography and was able to implement his previous knowledge of composition and design to build a new portfolio. Brett began to photograph weddings, family events, and sports. Brett’s favorite subject matter continues to be nature and wildlife. He has been juried into three international and national shows; the Jackson Hole International Photography Competition, Peter Miller Fine Art Photography International “Open Call”, and Through My Lens - Cortland National Photography Exhibit.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
- Artworks @7th, North Beach, Maryland
- 4th Annual Jackson Hole Photography Competition, Jackson Hole Art Association, Jackson Hole, Wyoming; April-May 2015
- 1st International Open Call Photography Show, Peter Miller Fine Art Photograph Gallery, Providence, Rhode Island; May-June 2015
- 2nd Annual Through My Lens - Cortland National Photography Exhibit, Cultural Council of Cortland County, Cortland, New York; August-September 2015
- 20th Annual Art Ability International Exhibition and Sale, Bryn Mawr Rehab Hospital, Malvern, Pennsylvania; November-January 2015-2016
- SUNRISE: A Celebration of the Arts, North Beach, Maryland; July 23, 2016
- Maryland Federation of Art @ Gallery B, Gallery B, Bethesda, Maryland; March-April 2017
- Bay Blues, Artworks @7th, North Beach, Maryland, June 2017
- Annapolis Arts & Wine Festival: Featured Artist, The United States Naval Academy, Annapolis, Maryland, June 10-11 2017
- 36th Annual Artscape, Baltimore, Maryland, July 21-23 2017
- Artsfest '17, Annmarie Sculpture Garden & Arts Center, Solomons, Maryland, September 16-17 2017
- Academy Art Museum Craft Show, Academy Art Museum, Easton, Maryland, October 20-22 2017
- CraftBoston Spring, Boston, Massachusetts, April 20-22 2018 *
- American Craft Council Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland, February 23–25 2018*
*- Upcoming show
- The Mary Beth Harry Memorial Scholarship Award 2012
- Huntingtown High School
- Virginia Commonwealth University School of the Arts